Ecological Systems Theory
For this assignment, you will apply Bronfenbrenner’s ecological systems theory to a topic in human lifespan development. To prepare for this assignment, review Bronfenbrenner’s ecological systems theory and locate academic or professional articles that explore the application of this theory.
Mental health workers often provide public education (such as talking to school groups, community groups, and others) on issues in psychology.
Create a presentation to educate the public both on the topic you chose and how Brofenbrenner’s ecological system theory explains it.
Identify the intended audience for your presentation. Example: You are addressing elementary school staff about the need for early sex education.
Choose a problem in human lifespan development to use in this assignment. Some examples of problems are:
- The effects of divorce on child development.
If you are unsure if your topic is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor.
Once you have selected your problem, apply Bronfenbrenner’s ecological systems theory. Within your assignment, you should include the following elements:
- Provide a brief overview of the problem you have selected and why you chose it.
- Include the following, for each level of the environment:
- A brief explanation of the system and how it influences development.
- A description of how the system affects the problem.
- Additional factors that can affect the problem.
- Explain how bi-directional relationships between the systems can affect the problem.
- Discuss any weaknesses or flaws in the application of Bronfenbrenner’s ecological systems theory to your chosen topic.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message and is consistent with expectations for members of the psychological professions.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (current edition) style and formatting.
- Resources: Minimum of two scholarly or professional resources. Please note that popular resources such as Wikipedia or About.com are not considered to be appropriate.
- Length: 6–8 slides, with at least 2–4 paragraphs in the notes to expand on your bullet points.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.