Compare and Contrast Authors of Indigenous World Literature
40 Short Stories: A Portable Anthology – “The Man to Send Rainclouds” by Leslie Marmon Silko, “Tonto and the Lone Ranger Fistfight in Heaven” by Sherman Alexie.
Oodgeroo Noonuccal. (2008). In P. Minter, A. Heiss, & N. Jose, N., Anthology of Australian Aboriginal literature (pp. 40-47). Montréal, QC: MQUP.
Doug Nicholls. (2008). In P. Minter, A. Heiss, & N. Jose, N., Anthology of Australian Aboriginal literature (pp. 48-53). Montréal, QC: MQUP.
Select two authors from the indigenous readings to compare and contrast. You may want to select one from each country and compare and contrast the Native American experience with that of the Aboriginal Australian experience.
- What did the two populations have in common?
- How were their experiences different?
- How did the authors represent their time period and their culture?
- How did they represent mainstream society vs. the indigenous people?
- What are common traits in both worlds?
- How are myths and legends utilized by both indigenous populations?
submit your comparison by writing a full paragraph on each story or author you are examining. (As a reminder, a full paragraph consists of 5-8 sentences). Feel free to utilize outside resources for support to your posts, and be sure to acknowledge your sources.