Answer these questions:
- Critically analyze the ethical literature related to public service.
- Describe your initial observations from the assigned readings and media.
- Explain how ethical you believe yourself to be.
- Explain how this course might help to improve your ability to deal with ethical issues.
- Which of these models do you believe is the preferred model, or the model that should be adopted in the US? Why?
Required Reading and media:
Public Service Ethics: Individual and Institutional Responsibilities
Chapter 1, “Pertinence, Practicality, and Poppycock” (pp. 2-20)
Chapter 2, “Perspectives on Ethics” (pp. 20-40)
Bowman, J. S., & West, J. P. (2015).
Chapter 1, “The Gap between Intended and Actual Ethical Behavior” (pp. 1-23)
Bazerman, M., & Tenbrunsel, A. (2011).
To Serve with Honor: Doing the Right Thing in Government
Chapter 1, “Are You an Ethics Agent?” (pp. 11-21)
Newell, T. (2015).