FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS
ORIGINAL THOUGHTS ONLY
********AMAZON IS THE COMPANY***********
WEEK 3 ASSIGNMENT CONTENT (TEAM)
Researching Industry Financial Statistics Grading Guide,
Researching Industry Financial Statistics
Purpose of AssignmentThe purpose of this assignment is to allow the students an opportunity to complete their financial evaluation of a company using the financial research database Plunkett Research Online. Plunkett Research Online provides in-depth analysis of a company’s financials, comparisons to industry averages, a list of top executives, how the company compares to other competitors in terms of revenue, number of employees, market capitalization and other key financial metrics.
Corporate Finance, Plunket Research Online located in the
Week 3 Electronic Reserve Readings
Access the Plunkett Research database in the University Library by following these steps:1. Click on
Week 3 Electronic Reserve Readings2. Click “Plunkett Research Online” under Library Resources.3. Click “Research A Company” under Business, Industry and Corporate Information4. Select a company (i.e. Walmart) and input into the Search Box.5. Scroll through the search results to choose the correct company.6. Click the link to the company profile (in blue). This brings you to the main company profile page.
On that main company profile page are four links toward the upper right as follows: Show/Hide Citation, Citation Guidelines, Printer Friendly Version, and PDF. Make a note of these as you will need a couple of them below.
VERY IMPORTANT – THREE SUBMISSIONS ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT
STEP 1 – (Submit as a PDF document)Save the Company Profile as a PDF document. If you click on the
button on the main company profile page, the program exports it to a PDF. Save and submit and your Step 1 is done.
STEP 2 (Submit as an EXCEL spreadsheet)Compare the 2015 Company Financials to the Industry Averages and export the results into a Microsoft® Excel® document. Add a new column in your Microsoft® Excel® document titled “Change” and calculate the difference between the company’s 2015 financial results and the industry averages. On the main company profile page, towards the middle, there is a link labeled
Compare to Industry Averages. Click on that link, and toward the upper right is an
Excel link. Click and you will be able to export into Excel for Step 2. Make sure you export
all of the financials (income statement, balance sheet, cash flow statement and ratios). Now simply add a “change column” and calculate the difference. Save and submit and your Step 2 is done.
STEP 3 (Add as an APPENDIX after the references page within the WORD document in Step 4 below)Review the Company Profile and answer the following questions. Copy the questions below to the page immediately after your references page and title it as “Appendix”. Then, simply provide the answers after the questions. You do
not need full explanatory paragraphs for this requirement as this is simply a question and answer requirement:
· What is the Ticker Symbol for the company you have selected?· When was the company established?· How many employees does it have?· What is the NAICS Code?· Who is the CEO?· Where does the company rank in terms of Total Revenue when compared to its competitors?· Where does the company rank in terms of Net Income when compared to its competitors?· Where does the company rank in terms of Return on Assets when compared to its competitors?· What is the Revenue in 2014 and 2015?· What was the Gross Margin in 2014 and 2015?· What was the Earnings per Share in 2014 and 2015?
STEP 4 (Submit as a WORD document in APA format)Explain how the company you selected company compares to the industry averages in terms of financial profitability, liquidity and solvency, and why the difference is important. Also review the financial statements over the last three years (2015, 2016, 2017), and discuss any positive and negative trends would you report to the company’s management. Your outline for your paper should look similar to the following:
- Your company vs industry averages with regard to profitability for 2015 – review the net margin, ROA and ROE ratios found on your Excel spreadsheet.
- Your company vs industry averages with regard to liquidity for 2015 – review the current and quick ratios found on your Excel spreadsheet.
- Your company vs industry averages with regard to solvency for 2015 – review the financial leverage and debt to equity ratios found on your Excel spreadsheet.
- Positive and negative trends for 2015, 2016, & 2017
- Appendix (this is Step 3 from above)
Each point above should be a paragraph containing 4-5 sentences, with the exception of the reference and appendix pages. There are required references for each assignment. Those are given to you below. So, all you need to do is copy, paste and then proceed to double-space, alphabetize and format into a hanging indent. You should not need to use other references. But if you do, format those using the Reference and Citation Generator Tool (see link below).
Minimum required references include your textbook
your chosen firm’s Plunkett Company Profile page.
The textbook reference is as follows:
Ross, S., Westerfield, R., Jaffe, J. & Jordan, B. (2016). Corporate finance (11th edition). New York, N.Y. McGraw-Hill Education.
For your Plunkett Reference, go back to your main company profile page. Click on Show/Hide Citation. It will give you the correct APA reference for your company so all you need to do is copy and paste.
- Center for Writing Excellence
- Reference and Citation Generator
- Grammar and Writing Guides
- Learning Team Toolkit
Copyright 2018 by University of Phoenix. All rights reserved.