Spinal Cord Case Study
Apply critical thinking skills to a clinical case study
Research a case and determine what adaptations the patient may need
Write a report regarding spinal cord injuries and adaptations needed due to these injuries
Core Objectives – Critical thinking skills, Written Communication
Your team will receive a case study of a patient with a spinal cord injury, including a completed ASIA (American Spinal Injury Association) Spinal Cord Injury form.
Using the information in the form and the case study, your job is to:
- Determine the neurological level of the injury
- Determine what adaptive devices and equipment the patient may need for activities of daily living, including:
- Moving around (walking, wheelchair, etc.)
- Dressing and undressing
Information about Spinal Cord Injuries
- Apparelyzed www.apparelyzed.com/
- Kirschblum SC, et al. International Standards for Neurological Level of Spinal Cord Injury. (Revised 2011) Retrieved from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC323263… (Peer-reviewed journal)
- NOTE: This article CANNOT be used in your paper as a primary source. You will need to find another primary source to use.
Information about Adaptive Equipment
- ASIA Durable Medical Equipment Guide http://www.asia-spinalinjury.org/rehab/dme.php
- AbleData http://www.abledata.com/ (Search for a device or keyword, e.g. car)
- Allegro Medical www.allegromedical.com/
- Healthy Kin www.healthykin.com/default.aspx?
- Independent Living www.independentliving.com/default.asp
- Patterson Medical www.pattersonmedical.com/
- Wisdom King www.wisdomking.com/
Adaptive Equipment Suppliers
Hint: Click on the “Daily Living Aids” and “Mobility Aids” links.