Data breaches have become very frequent and millions of records are being compromised in data breaches. Write a report that identifies the major data breaches (anything involving million or more records is a major breach) that became public during the last 5 years (2011 to 2016). For this purpose use the date the incident became public even if it happened months before that. In this analysis give an account of what happened, what types of data were lost or stolen, any information on how it occurred. Based on this analysis come up with a strategy to prevent such incidents from occurring in the future. Give statistical data pertaining to the data breaches during this period.
For writing this report you should check both print and online resources. You may use any information from newspapers, only to the extent that you can corroborate them from other reliable sources. Your report should have an abstract, section headings and conclusion. Follow the guidelines in the syllabus for preparing the report. The report should be submitted by midnight on the due date to the SafeAssignment link on Blackboard. Several minutes after submission you should be able to see the originality Report in Blackboard under the column “Matching” for your submission. Include 5 to 10 references and list the reference details such as author(s), volume, page numbers, year of publication or web link, as the case may be. Do not collaborate with any other student in class in writing this report. I am looking for your analysis of the information that you present and so any item quoted should be brief. If the originality report shows a match of more than 15% then I will consider the report to be not your work and deduct points accordingly. If the originality report shows a match of 50% or more then I will consider the report to be plagiarized and will take appropriate actions, including assigning an F grade for the course and/or reporting the matter to the appropriate authorities at TSU as mentioned in the syllabus.
Guidelines on References:
- The idea of references is that the reader should be able to locate the reference item using the information provided in the paper. So, the reference citation should be complete. You can see the references cited in the book for format.
- Use reliable sources such as major companies (IBM, AT&T, Google, etc)
- Do not use textbook as a reference source
- Recommended Books may be used as references if you are able to identify which part in those you want to use
- Do not use any newspaper sources (NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Huffington Post, etc)
- Do not use sources such as Wikipedia, Whatis.com, Howstuffworks.com, etc
- Note that as a student at TSU you can get help from the Library to obtain papers using the Inter Library Loan feature. Library also has several books and ebooks. Contact library for help.