Week 3 Social Exclusion Blog Composition
Throughout this course you will read scholarly work on questions of diversity, exclusion and inclusion. You will write 3 blogs reflecting upon those issues, but rather than offering an unsubstantiated opinion on these matters, you’ll be expected to offer a unique but informed opinion supported by scholarly research and empirical evidence. After submitting online to BB you will be sharing these blogs in small group presentations.
You will have freedom to choose the topic and the particular angle of the issue as you wish to explore it, but there are some clear parameters you’ll need to follow.
Each blog entry must have:
- Minimum 500 words (15% penalty for falling short of the word count)
- 1 citation from academic source materials read that week in class. This must be cited with a page number and author. Sources may not be reused week-to-week.
- 1 citation of an academic source (a relevant peer-reviewed article) from outside of class. See the writing guide to determine what is an appropriate source. Hint: Wikipedia is not an academic source. Sources may not be reused week-to-week.
- 1 citation of a news media article relevant to the topic.
- At least 1 audio or visual element that adds substantial content to support your argument. This could be a link to a video, pictures, etc.
You will submit a copy online prior to class due date and as will as printing out for small group presentations and discussion.
You’ll complete your blog each week by no later than class time, MONDAYS 5/13, 5/20 and Thursday 5/30 (so you can focus on prep for final exam)
Week Three Readings
- Patricia Hill Collins– Black Feminist Thought – Black Feminist Thought in the Matrix of Domination – PDF (197 KB)
- Annette Lareau–Class Difference in Family-School Relationships – Family-School Relationships – PDF (2.77 MB)
- Marie Campbell–Dorothy Smith and Knowing the World We Live In – Dorothy Smith and Knowing the World We Live In – PDF (1.13 MB)
- Nancy Chodorow–The Reproduction of Mothering (Intro and Ch. 2 Only) – The Reproduction of Mothering – PDF (6.05 MB)
- Frederick Engels–The Origin of the Family – The Origin of the Family – PDF (1.33 MB)