Review Chapters 3, chapter 6 and 7 in the course textbook.
- Chapter 3, Corporate Social Responsibility and Citizenship
- Chapter 6 and 7, Business in a Globalized World
Along with the chapter readings, pay particular attention to the following case in Chapter 3:
Corporate Social Responsibility at Gravity Payments. You may also find the following video related to the case of interest:
Prepare a 500-word posting identifying the major points from the chapter readings. Conclude the post by considering the following case questions:
- Is Price demonstrating elements of corporate social responsibility by his actions in this case, or not? Although this is a subjective question, the chapter provides a number of tools to assess Price’s actions in terms of corporate social responsibility:
- Is Price using his corporate power as a CEO appropriately?
- Is he demonstrating the notion of the Iron Law of Responsibility?
- Is he embracing the responsibility notion of “giving back” to his employees?
- What principles of corporate citizenship (using Exhibit 3.A) are evident in this case?
- What arguments for and against corporate social responsibility (referring to Figure 3.3) are relevant to this case?
- Is Price acting like an executive of a firm that could be certified as a B corporation?
- What stage of global corporate citizenship (using Figure 3.5) is Gravity Payments operating at, and why do you think so?