After reading Chapter 8, you should be able to:
- Interpret population and fertility trends worldwide.
- Explain fertility in the United States.
- Compare and contrast the costs and rewards of raising children.
- Discuss the trend of remaining childfree.
- Recognize the interconnection of micro and macro factors influencing childbirth.
- Describe adoption as another path to parenthood.
- Analyze the transition to parenthood.
We’ve been reading about the things that help families thrive in society today. One of the things found to be most helpful to families is support and encouragement for our children. The United States differs from other countries when it comes to maternity and paternity leave. How does the United States differ from other countries and what do you think about our policy? Do you think having policies like other countries would help our families and make a difference in the outcomes of our children?