Ethical Issues and Dilemmas in Business Questions Solution
The discussion this week is based around an ethics audit and is probably the easiest discussion assignment in the course. 250-word (not including in-text citation and references as word count) count minimum with two scholarly sources in APA format. For the two scholarly sources, one from the textbook that’s posted below and the other one from an outside source. Let’s be sure to write it in own work 100% and give credit appropriately when using someone’s else work.
Unit Five asks learners to identify and discuss the specific ethical issue/dilemma that they believe will have an impact in the future. Choose from the “Ethical Issues and Dilemmas in Business,” that we looked at in Unit 2 (pp. 65-85). Additional guidance is on the discussion board.
Reflect on the major ethical issues and dilemmas we have covered in this course. Using the categories in “Ethical Issues and Dilemmas in Business,” (Unit Two, pp. 65-85) identify the area of ethics you believe will have the greatest impact in the future.
1) Briefly describe/define that issue. Using evidence from the text or from outside sources, discuss
- why the issue is important,
- the impact you expect it to have on the competitive landscape, and
- the impact the issue will have on your own attitudes and behaviors.
The initial post should be a minimum of 250 words and should be supported with evidence from at least two sources including the book. As always, everyone should update the subject line of the initial post so that it reflects the topic of the post.
1,300 word count and there is a total of 4 questions (not including in-text citation and references as the word count), a minimum of three scholarly sources are required in APA format. For the three scholarly sources, one from the textbook that’s posted below and the other two from an outside source. Let’s be sure to write it in own work 100% and give appropriately when using someone’s else work.
The Complete assignments are all based on the assigned material, focusing on globalization, the economic foundations of business ethics, multinational corporations, and several global ethics issues.
Q1, Q2, and Q3 will all probably need the use of outside sources.
An article for Q1 is suggested in the Complete section. That article is posted in the Unit 5 Course Materials.
For Q2, note that the library has made some changes to its website. Use Gale Group Datebase Then scroll down the page and click on the “Criminal Justice” tab. Select “Opposing Viewpoints in Context,” and search for “cybersecurity” or “cybersecurity threats” or “cybersecurity risks.” Then select “News” and sort the results by date.
Q3 is about health care. Current news should be a good source of material for that topic. Try to avoid getting caught up in the politics of health care reform and focus on the ethical issues.
Q4 can be answered fully using information from the Read and Attend sections of the course.
1 Economic Systems
Review the material on economic systems in Chapter Ten. Look at Figure 10.2 and answer the following:
1) What are the differences between capitalism and socialism?
2) What are the differences between rational economics and behavioral economics?
3) Explain the US shift from the 1950s-90s rational economics to the 2010 behavioral economics?
For additional information on this question, see the article, The End of Rational Economics, from Harvard Business Review (https://hbr.org/2009/07/the-end-of-rational-economics).
Internet security is often in the news. The Carnegie Council identifies it as a risk that “require[s] organizations to make ‘fundamental ethical choices’ when doing business globally” (Ferrell, Fraedrich & Ferrell, 2013, p. 289). Review the material on internet security in Chapter Ten and answer the following:
1) Research a recent incident related to internet security and privacy that has a global or international component. Describe the incident, identify the ethical issues involved, and propose a solution (this doesn’t have to be technical solution). Try to avoid politics unless there is also a clear link to business ethics.
Hint: Go Gale Group Datebase. Select “opposing viewpoints in context,” and search for “cybersecurity.” Select “news” and sort the results by date.
3 Health Care
Read the Chapter Ten debate issue on page 296. Clearly state whether you think
1) Health care is a fundamental right. It protects life, and should be ensured by government, or
2) Health care is a privilege and should not be provided by government because of the high costs.
Explain your answer.
4 Resolving Ethical Business Challenges – CornCo
Read the CornCo scenario on pp. 304-305. Pay particular attention to the global issues and the fact that law is not necessarily a static concept in business because it varies across nations. Answer the following:
1) What should George do? Identify the relevant issues that affect your decision, along with an ethical interpretation of those issues.
1) Watch one of the following documentaries. Both look at the global components of a large US corporation and some of the ethics issues they have experienced:
a) Watch the documentary “Mark Thomas on Coca Cola.” It is about an hour long and details some of the broader historical context and global events surrounding the company. Little has changed since the video was produced. Here’s the link:
b) If you didn’t complete the Unit 1 extra credit, watch the documentary “Is Walmart Good for America?” The documentary is about an hour long and was produced by Frontline in 2004. Like the Coca-Cola story, little has changed since the documentary was produced. Here’s a link to the video:
2) Write a one page response (300-400 words) indicating how the video helps (or doesn’t help) create a better understanding of economics, globalization, and global ethics issues. All of those topics are part of the Unit 5 Complete assignments. Follow APA requirements for a cover page and reference page.