My course is integrated capstone – Master of Health administration.
For this module, please read the following:
- American Hospital Association Policy Research and Trends Analysis. http://www.aha.org/research/index.shtml
- Health Research and Educational Trust Trends in Hospital-Based Population Health Infrastructure December 2013. http://www.hpoe.org/Reports-Hpoe/ACHI_Survey_Repor…
- American Hospital Association Hospitals and Care Systems of the Future September 2011. http://www.aha.org/content/11/hospitals-care-syste…
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Measuring What Matters: Introducing a New Action Framework November 2015. http://www.rwjf.org/en/culture-of-health/2015/11/m…
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Pioneering Ideas Podcast: Episode 6 – What if? Shifting Prescriptions to Change the World. October 2014. http://rwjf.org/en/culture-of-health/2014/10/podca…
- RAND Corporation Retail Clinics Play Growing Role in Health Care Marketplace September 2012. http://www.rand.org/health/feature/retail-clinics….
As you read, pay special attention to the following topics
1. What represents the causes for these trends to emerge and evolve as described by the various reference sources
2. How these trends impact the five major healthcare areas of: wellness/health promotion, acute care, ambulatory care, long term care, and rehabilitation
3. What are the trends that transcend more than one healthcare domain and what trends apply principally to one area of the healthcare industry
4. Where within the reference sources there are common trends shared among these sources, and where there are trends that are only identified by a single source
For module 8, please discuss the following:
- What you determine to be the major theme of Module Eight;
- What lessons you learned from this section; and
- How you would apply these lessons to your work.
- Please also react to one other student’s critique. Your assignment is limited to one page.
My classmate discussion
On this discussion board I will discuss the trend of three of the readings for this week on the topic of the future of healthcare and hospitals. The American Hospital association lists ten must do strategies that hospitals should implement for future survival with the top four being: 1. Aligning hospitals and providers across the care continuum. 2. Utilizing evidence-based practice to improve quality and patient safety. 3. Improving efficiency through productivity and financial management. 4. Developing integrated information systems. These along with the other 6 will keep and organization and it’s leaders informed and educated about what and how they should focus their efforts and assist with building their teams of professionals to address these issues for the future.
As mentioned in the trend watch article on value driven future it is mentioned that hospital and health system are actively working to serve their communities on various topics and included is ways to adopt initiatives that control costs, improve outcomes and enhance patient centered care. I see that the system that I work in is very focused on serving the communities surrounding the hospital’s locations. It is important to ensure that an organization’s culture and institution support systems and processes align with delivering value and safe high quality care to succeed in value based payment models.
In 2014 the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation shared a vision of a country that strives to build a Culture of Health and every person has the same opportunities to live their life the healthiest that can be regardless of where they live, their economic status and their skin tone. They developed an action framework the had 4 main acti9onb areas which include: 1. Making health a shared value. 2. Fostering cross-section collaboration. 3. Creating healthie, more equitable communities. 4. Strengthening integration of health systems and services. Each action plkan includes a set of drivers and measures. It is important that we always look forward to creating a culture that promotes values and health across this country.
What is clear in all these articles is that in order to promote actions towards change it is necessary to have health care providers and healthcare leaders with the competencies and education along with collaboration to make a difference to the population that we serve for today and in the future. In addition staying informed through continual learning with these articles is one step in the process.