Hi this is needed before Sunday May 5th 5pm EST
Since this is my last discussion post,it might help you to know that I am a new student, still learning and I have not connected the dots with any specific areas to work in yet. I’m going to let that unfold/evolve)
PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ ALL REQUIRED MATERIAL AND REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT.
I AM NOT ALWAYS ONLINE SO PLEASE DOUBLE CHECK THAT YOU ARE ABLE TO ACCESS ALL LINKS/MATERIAL IMMEDIATELY.
This assignment is for a discussion post. No set number of pages are required. It does not need to be long (about one page or less) but it needs to be very well written, scholarly, in a natural discussion tone, using APA.
It will involve reading material (see additional doc) and watching 1 hr 45 min video. I have included extra time for this and also included a transcript.
A response to two of the other discussion posts will be required but I will send that as a separate assignment later.
–You will need Vital Source Bookshelf App to read the ebook (see below):
Vital Source Bookshelf:
Sign in: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please see link below for more details and resources:
(resources are sent in another file within this link)
Discussion: Reflecting on Your Future Work as a Professional Counselor
Up to this point in the course, you have concentrated on reviewing case studies from the perspective of a single theoretical perspective. This week, you have the opportunity to discuss how you see that two theories may integrate into an effective strategy for you as a future counselor. You may also decide that a single theory feels like it will be the best fit for your future career at this point in your training. Whether you choose to integrate two theories or remain a purist, thoughtfully and thoroughly back up your current position.
Finally, you will consider the specifics of how what you have learned during this course will enable you to be an agent of positive social change. In what ways may your specific choice of strategy or strategies affect your role of a social change agent?
- Consider what you have learned and explored throughout this course, concentrating specifically on the case studies and how you responded from the perspectives of different theories.
- Reflect on the possibility that two theories might integrate well with your future professional practice.
- Identify the ways that the knowledge gained in this course positions you to be an agent for positive social change in the future.
By Day 3
Post your reflections on the following points:
- If you choose to integrate two theories, identify the theories you selected and explain how they resonate with you. Then, explain how you believe they would integrate well for your future professional practice.
- If it feels like a better fit for your current place in your professional journey to concentrate on one theory, you can identify that theory and discuss what you think is the best fit for your future.
- Whether you choose a single theory or take the position that two would integrate well, thoughtfully back the reasons why you are taking your position.
- Finally, include an explanation of how you will use what you have learned as a professional counselor as an agent of social change in your broader community.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources and identify current relevant literature to support your work.
By Day 5
Read your colleagues’ postings.
Respond to at least two of your colleagues’ posts and explain whether you believe the proposed case conceptualization is the most beneficial for the case selected and why.
Return to this Discussion in a few days to read the responses to your initial posting. Note what you have learned and/or any insights that you have gained as a result of your colleagues’ comments.
(let me know if you would also like to see the “optional resources)
Ratts, M. J., Rafferty McCullough, J., & Rubel, D. J. (2016). Diversity and social justice issues in counseling and psychotherapy. In D. Capuzzi & M. D. Stauffer (Eds.), Counseling and psychotherapy: Theories and interventions (6th ed., pp. 35–71). Alexandria, VA: American Counseling Association.
Rosenthal, H. (2017). Encyclopedia of counseling (4th ed.). New York, NY: Routledge. Chapter 5, “Counseling and Helping Relationships”
- Select the current version of the “Walden University Student Handbook” from the drop-down menu, and click on Go.
- Click on Section 2: About Walden University
- Click on Social Change.
Association for Spiritual, Ethical, and Religious Values in Counseling. (2009). Competencies for addressing spiritual and religious issues in counseling. Retrieved from http://www.aservic.org/resources/spiritual-competencies/
Psychotherapy.net. (Producer) (2009). Integrative counseling with Jeffrey Kottler, PhD. [Video file]. Mill Valley, CA: Author.p>
Note: The approximate length of this video is 1 hour, 45 minutes.
Note: You will access this video through the Walden Library course readings guide.
National Counselor Exam Preparation (Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Marriage, Couples and Family Counseling Students only)
Becoming a National Certified Counselor (NCC) is an important step for students in graduate counseling programs. It is the premier counseling certification in the field of counseling. According to the National Board of Certified Counselors, “Becoming a board-certified counselor demonstrates to your colleagues and the public that you have voluntarily met high national standards for the practice of counseling.” The study materials below address some of the core content for you to review in preparation for the National Counselor Exam. It is important to integrate many resources into your study plan; we hope that these materials will supplement your study preparation.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2018). Helping relationships NCE module, Part 1 [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
with Dr. Elizabeth Ventura
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 57 minutes.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2018). Helping relationships NCE module, Part 2 [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
with Dr. Elizabeth Ventura
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 56 minutes.
Rosenthal, H. (2017). Encyclopedia of counseling (4th ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Chapter 5 “Counseling and Helping Relationships”